The Lord compares our victory to his. Being a perfect being he would only do a perfect comparison. With that we can trust that if we do as he says, hear his voice and open the door, we will be victorious. It is sure.
"If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person..." How do we know we are hearing his voice?
"Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself but what he seeth the Father do; for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. For the Father loveth the Son and showeth him all things that himself doeth; and he will show him greater works than these, that ye may marvel. ... For the Father judgeth no man but hath committed all judgment unto the Son, That all should honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who honoreth not the Son honoreth not the Father who hath sent him. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He who heareth my word and believeth on him who sent me hath everlasting life and shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from death into life. ...
For I can of mine own self do nothing because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father who hath sent me. Therefore, if I bear witness of myself, yet my witness is true. For I am not alone; there is another who beareth witness of me, and I know that the testimony which he giveth of me is true. Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness also unto the truth. And he received not his testimony of man, but of God; and ye yourselves say that he is a prophet; therefore, ye ought to receive his testimony. These things I say that ye might be saved. He was a burning and a shining light; and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light. But I have a greater witness than the testimony of John; for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me. And the Father himself who sent me, hath borne witness of me. And verily, I testify unto you that ye have never heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape; For ye have not his word abiding in you; and him whom he hath sent, ye believe not.
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life; and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me that ye might have life, lest ye should honor me. I receive not honor from men. But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not; if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. How can ye believe, who seek honor one of another and seek not the honor which cometh from God only? Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father; there is Moses who accuseth you, in whom ye trust. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?"
The teachings of the Saviour on how to know when we being taught truth.
- "For I can of mine own self do nothing because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father who hath sent me." Humility, meekness, understanding of the goodness, graciousness, and glory of God. Everything MUST point only to the Father of Heaven. A complete and full recognition that EVERYTHING we have that is good is from the father and belongs directly to him. We are not good of ourselves, only as we are connected to God and that goodness is his.
- "he received not his testimony of man, but of God" A true testimony will only point to the God of Heaven. Everything they know and witness about is because the Father has testified of it to them himself. It can be through his word to their mind and hearts, but it is directly from him. They are certainly allowed to be learning themself, infact it is vital, but they only teach what the Lord directs them precisely. There must be NO reliance from the hearer on the speakers knowledge. Just passing on the word of God so that the hearer can get directly to God and learn from him who is the perfect teacher.
- "I have a greater witness than the testimony of John; for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me." The works must be seen and judged. If there are no works that in itself is a judgement. If a person preaches a truth that leads to a result and you cannot see that result in that person or those they have taught there is no truth in that teaching. The Lord will come through to bear witness to the hearer that what they are hearing is true. He will never ask you to rely on a person. Therefore he will always come though and bear witness, undeniable witness, that he is in that work. More than just a mere feeling. He will give you whatever you need to move any trust in a person over to him who has the power to salvation. The witness then will be everywhere if it is the Father;s work. It should be happening in your life repeatedly as soon as you embrace truth and work toward becoming it. If you do not have many witnesses that is okay you just need to reassess and correct. The witnesses are a tool to help you know if you're in line with truth. Seek from the Lord to teach you where He would have you correct first and go from there. The witnesses will come. He's really perfect that way. There is always more to learn and more to correct. Never stop seeking.
- "you that ye have never heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape; For ye have not his word abiding in you; and him whom he hath sent, ye believe not." If you haven't heard his voice or seen his face it is only because you won't believe the truth. It may be because you haven't heard it/learned it, or it could be because you have turned away from it. Either way, it is a law that you can only hear the Lord's voice and see/know his face if you believe, unto action, his word/truth. Be it from himself, or someone called to teach. Please understand clearly, he does not have favorites. If you are in the correct line you will hear his voice and come to know his face. He speaks the same truth to all, but the delivery is as diverse as the people listening. Seek to know the way he speaks with you. It will be tailored exactly for you. There is not exception. If you cannot hear him and do not have a reliable understanding of how he acts and who he is there is need for correctionnand learning. Again, this is okay and very very good. He desires so strongly to have every person in his arms and has given and will continue to give you everything he's got to help you hear him.
- "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life; and they are they which testify of me." Develop a relationship with the scriptures. Allow the Lord to work through them to showing you his true character. He is love. He is light. He is the perfect personification of all the beattitudes. When reading give your heart to the Lord. Ask him to break down all your ideas of how he works and who he is so that he can come through and build up the correct understanding of all that. He can and will use the scriptures to do this if you allow him.
- "How can ye believe, who seek honor one of another and seek not the honor which cometh from God only?" If you see any person who tells you, or asks you to trust them they are seeking their own honor. They are asking you to honor them. The only being that deserves our trust is our Father in Heaven. It is a very common problem and you can know immediately they have a misalignment if they ever say or think that others need to trust them. You cannot desire to put your trust in another person or have another person put their trust in you. Even the Savior chastised people for calling him "good" while he was alive on this earth because he knew the weakness of mortal flesh. How much more we ought to remember that we are weak and fallen and should never trust ourselves to bring anyone to salvation. That is not our territory. No one is serving God who asks others to put their trust in themself. No one is serving God who puts their trust in another human being.
- "if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?" It is God's pattern to speak with His children and teach them. These people are then asked to go and share very specific things God has taught them. Their eyes were opened and they get the job of sharing that others eyes may be open if the hearer chooses. Their message is only as good as it is pure and that varies greatly depending in the humility and diligence of the speaker. The hearer and speaker must know that only God matters and allow him to be the final say. The God of heaven, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob calls mortals to speak God's word. The Lord uses these people to call his children out of darkness. These speakers are NOTHING except what God had given them and then that part is God's, which leaves them NOTHING still. This is where the scriptures come from and any person today who is sent with a specific message. Let them be the tool they are intended to be and NOTHING more. Believe all truth as the gift from god that it is and rejoice in God's goodness and protection.
Learning to hear God is a process and journey. It is filled with constant signs and witnesses of his love and devotion to his children. His only desire is the safety and salvation of his children. The only way to accomplish that is a personal relationship with him. I promise you he is vigorously committed to coming to you and having you in his closest circle of love and companionship. Everyone that will have him. Give up all your distractions and focus on him. Its so real and so true. Hearing is critical to this process. Everything hinges on how clearly you can hear and know him. That is the thing that will keep you in his territory. The devil seeks to distract and destroy you. He is nothing compared to the love of the Savior. Hearing him will allow you to discern the tricks and working of the devil. No need to study all the ways to err, only know the voice of the Lord and you will know when something else comes in as a pretend. No one could pretend to be your spouse for a day without be detected. You will have that same kind of relationship with the Lord if you seek it. He is all in for you already.